Susanna Reid breaks silence on Piers Morgans Ofcom win over Meghan Markle

Get daily celeb exclusives and behind the scenes house tours direct to your inbox

Piers Morgan said he was "delighted" when Ofcom cleared his rants on Meghan Markle on Good Morning Britain, and his former co-host Susanna Reid has now shared her thoughts.

Piers' rant became the most complained about moment on TV ,with a a total of 57,121 people contacting Ofcom – including Meghan Markle herself.

Following the complaints, the nation saw Piers storm off live on-air and quit the show, but now Ofcom have said Piers' comments have not broken any of the regulator's rules.

Susanna Reid star shared her colleague Chris Ship's tweet onto her profile.

It read: "Ofcom's conclusion is that @piersmorgan 'was entitled to say he disbelieved' Meghan's claims and 'to express strong views that rigorously challenged their account'.

"But in this instance they had to weigh up the potential for such viewpoints to cause harm and offence."

She then shared another of his tweets, which read: "The report says 'had it not been for the extensive challenge offered throughout the Programme by @susannareid100 and @chrisshipitv, we would have seriously concerned' and overall 'adequate protection for viewers was provided'. On balance, the Programme was not in breach."

Many followers waded in on the debate as one tweeted: "So it was the amazing other presenters not blooming Piers Morgan. He is at fault but other presenters saved his neck… AGAIN."

Piers celebrated the news of the ruling as he wrote on his Twitter page: "I’m delighted OFCOM has endorsed my right to disbelieve the Duke & Duchess of Sussex’s incendiary claims to Oprah Winfrey, many of which have proven to be untrue.

"This is a resounding victory for free speech and a resounding defeat for Princess Pinocchios. Do I get my job back?"

However, ITV bosses reportedly dismissed the idea of bringing Piers back to present GMB.

Become an OK! VIP and see all our exclusives – for free!

Become an OK! VIP and you will unlock access to all of our big exclusives…

Be the first to meet the latest showbiz babies, see the most sought after wedding pictures of the year, or take a guided tour around your favourite star's lavish multi-million pound home – all for free!

Sign up here

An ITV representative told MailOnline that they "have no current plans to invite him to present Good Morning Britain".

OK! Previously approached ITV for further comment.

Following Piers' decision to quit the show, Susanna was moved to tears when she presented for the first time after his departure.

"A number of people, of course, will know the news and many of you will not and will be surprised that Piers Morgan is not here this morning," she said on air.

"Now, Piers and I have disagreed on many things, and that dynamic was one of the things that viewers loved about the programme. He is without a doubt an outspoken, challenging, opinionated, disruptive broadcaster. He has many critics and he has many fans."

She added: "You all know that I disagreed with him about Meghan's interview. He, himself, clarified his comments about her mental health on the show yesterday. There are many voices on GMB and everyone has their say. But now Piers has decided to leave the programme.

"Some of you may cheer, and others will boo. He has been my presenting partner, Monday to Wednesday, for more than five years, and during Brexit and the pandemic and other issues, he has been a voice for many of you, and a voice that many of you have railed against. It is certainly going to be very different, but shows go on and so on we go."

For all your updates on Susanna Reid, her work commitments and romantic life, sign up to our daily OK! newsletter.

Source: Read Full Article