Horrified mum issues warning after finding her baby bleeding & covered in broken glass after a picture fell into his cot

A MUM has issued a safety warning for parents after finding her baby bleeding and covered in glass from a picture which had fallen into his cot.

The devastated mum had decorated her baby's nursery after getting inspiration from Instagram and hung picture frames on the wall above his cot – which her mother had warned against.

She revealed that she "woke up to screaming from the baby monitor" and soshe rushed in to check on her baby.

After pulling back the covers she discovered broken glass everywhere, including the empty picture frame, and saw that her baby had cuts all over his body.

Admitting she "feels like the worst mum in the world" she shared the horrible incident on Mumsnet in hope other parents can "learn from my mistake."

She wrote: "When my mum pointed out maybe I shouldn't have frames above my baby's cot I just thought of all the Instagram nursery inspo pictures I'd seen and thought that she was being irrational.


"At some point last night/this morning my toddler either pulled down a print or it fell down," she continued.

"We woke up this morning to screaming from the baby monitor, pulled the covers back to find broken glass everywhere, the frame and blood on the mattress. Cuts to four fingers on one hand, two on the other, the palms of the hands, cheeks, belly."

She went on to say that she cried the entire day and spent many hours in the emergency department before coming back home.

She urged other mums to learn from her mistakes, saying the situation could have ended so much worse.

Other parents thanked the mum for sharing her story, saying this isn't something everyone would consider when decorating their nursery.

"Frames above bed not a good idea," agreed one commenter. "Nor are shelves holding up pictures, or those canopy things, or cot bumpers or lots of stuffed toys in the bed. Safest cots are clear, flat, mattress with no hazards on."

They said not to stress though, the baby will recover quickly, but encouraged the woman to ensure the cot is cleaned thoroughly going forward and to remove any leftover glass shards.

"Sorry to hear your little one got hurt," added another. "I think it's very good of you to share your story on here for the benefit of others. I shall pass the message on to mum groups I'm in."

And one thanked the mum for her warning as she was just about to buy some prints herself.

"I've just been looking at framed prints to put over the wall in my sons' room but now I'm going to get a soft canvas print instead," she said.

Cot safety

  • The mattress must fit snugly, with no space for the baby's head to get stuck.
  • The bars must be smooth, securely fixed, and the distance between each bar should not be less than 25mm (1 inch) and not more than 60mm (2.5 inches), so your baby's head can't get trapped.
  • The cot should be sturdy.
  • The moving parts should work smoothly and not allow fingers or clothing to get trapped.
  • Cot bumpers are not recommended as babies can overheat or get tangled in the fastenings.
  • Never leave anything with ties, such as bibs or clothes, in the cot as they might get caught around your baby's neck.
  • The safest place for your baby to sleep is on their back in a cot in the same room as you for the first 6 months.

Source: NHS

According to the Lullaby Trust website, it's "safest to keep baby’s cot clear of any items such as bumpers, toys and loose bedding" – this included pillows and blankets which the NHS deem unsafe.

What's more Red Nose Australia recommends parents ensure there is nothing in or around your baby's cot.

"Putting items in and around the cot could pose a risk," says Midwife Jane Wiggill.

"This includes bumpers, pillows, toys, lambs’ wool, bunting, or mobiles.

"Also make sure your cot is positioned away from windows, where there is potential for accidents or injury from curtains and curtain cords."

You can find out more about cot safety from the NHS website or Lullaby Trust.

Plus this mum’s terrifying warning after her three-year-old went missing from school after being picked up by a stranger in a mask.

And this mum’s ‘life-saving’ parenting hack shows how to stop toddlers choking on common items including grapes.

Meanwhile, the ‘mother’s kiss’ is the simple trick EVERY parent should know & it instantly removes small items from your kid’s nose.

    Source: Read Full Article