Prince Philip latest news – Queen fights for peace amid Meghan & Harry row as Duke of Edinburgh remains in hospital

THE Royal Family is in crisis with Prince Philip still in hospital amid the fallout of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, has spent more than 20 days in hospital following an infection and subsequent heart surgery earlier this month.

His presence will be especially missed by the Queen as she attempts to ease the furore caused by Meghan and Harry's sensational claims about the Royal Family, which aired in the UK on Monday and in the US on Sunday.

Buckingham Palace last night finally broken its silence over the interview that saw Meghan Markle break down in tears as she and Prince Harry revealed the pressures they had faced within the Royal Family.

A statement released on behalf of the Queen said: "The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years  have been for Harry and Meghan. 

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.  Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. 

"Harry, Meghan  and Archie will always be much loved family members."

Follow our Prince Philip live blog below for the very latest updates on his health..

  • Joseph Gamp

    LIFE OF SERVICE

    A video of the Queen pressing on with her royal duties was released tonight hours after Prince Philip was transferred to a specialist hospital as he battles a heart condition.

    The upbeat clip shows the hard-working Monarch in good spirits during a video chat with high-ranking officials in Australia – even cracking a few jokes.

    The call – made on February 24 – was with the Governor of South Australia, His Excellency the Hon. Hieu Van Le, and the Hon. Steven Marshall MP, Premier of South Australia.

    Looking relaxed the dedicated 94-year-old made three jokes as she was shown a new statue of herself which has been erected on the other side of the world.

  • Joseph Gamp

    WHEN WILL PRINCE PHILIP TURN 100?

    Prince Philip, otherwise known as the Duke of Edinburgh, turned 99 in June, 2020.

    He will hit a significant milestone this year when he turns 100.

    He was born in 1921 in Greece, and has been married to the Queen for more than 70 years.

    His father was Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, while his mother was Princess Alice of Battenberg.

    Raised in the UK, he was also educated in France and Germany, later joining the Navy and serving in World War II.

  • Joseph Gamp

    THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH: PRINCE PHILIP IS THE QUEEN’S CONFIDANTE

    Philip has previously been described as the Queen’s “constant strength” and has been known as the “protector” of the Royal Family.

    He has been by the Queen’s side for seven decades of marriage, becoming one of the hardest working royals.

    From 1952 he attended 22,219 solo engagements and 637 overseas tours in a career marked by his famous gaffes.

    He then retired from his public duties at the age of 96 in 2017 after 65 years of public life.

  • Joseph Gamp

    TIMELINE OF PHILIP’S STAY IN HOSPITAL

    • Tuesday February 16 2021 – The duke is admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital on a precautionary basis after feeling unwell.
    • Friday February 19 – Sources say Philip is now expected to remain in hospital for “observation and rest” over the weekend and into the next week.
    • Saturday February 20 – The Prince of Wales makes a 200 mile-round trip to see his father, spending around half an hour at the hospital.
    • Tuesday February 23 – Seven days after the duke was admitted, the Palace says he is being treated for an infection and is “comfortable and responding to treatment”, but is not expected to leave hospital for several more days. The Earl of Wessex says the duke is a “lot better” and looking forward to getting out.
    • Monday March 1 – Philip is transferred in an ambulance to St Bartholomew’s Hospital for treatment for an infection and testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace says. The duke is shielded from public view by large umbrellas as he leaves King Edward VII’s Hospital.
    • Thursday March 4 – Buckingham Palace confirms Philip has undergone a ‘successful’ heart operation and will remain in hospital for a ‘number of days’
    • Friday March 5 – After his successful heart operation, Buckingham Palace confirmed that Prince Philip was transferred back to King Edward VII hospital to recover this morning

    PHILIP ENTERS 23RD DAY IN CARE

    Today marks Prince Philip’s 23rd consecutive day in care.

    He is expected to remain in King Edward VII’s hospital for the next few days.

    In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “Following the Duke of Edinburgh’s successful procedure at St Bartholomew’s Hospital on Wednesday, His Royal Highness has been transferred to King Edward VII’s Hospital this morning.

    “The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days.”

     HOW IS PRINCE PHILIP DOING NOW?

    The Duke of Edinburgh has spent a number of weeks in hospital after falling ill at Windsor Castle.

    The 99-year-old royal has returned to King Edward VII Hospital in London, where he originally spent two weeks before being transferred across the city to St Bartholomew’s Hospital for further treatment.

    Buckingham Palace said in a statement: "Following The Duke of Edinburgh's successful procedure at St Bartholomew's Hospital on Wednesday, His Royal Highness has been transferred to King Edward VII's Hospital.

    "The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days."

    Read more here.

    DOG SAVE THE QUEEN

    One could imagine Prince Philip is keen to get back home soon – with his wife the Queen reportedly having two new puppies introduced to the Royal Household.

    The 94-year-old monarch now has two adorable corgi puppies.

    The dogs have cheered her up while Prince Philip, 99, is in hospital.

    The 94-year-old monarch — who has had more than 30 dogs over the years — is said to be delighted with the extra company at Windsor Castle, having had only one since the end of last year.

    WHAT QUEEN’S ‘OLIVE BRANCH’ STATEMENT REALLY MEANT

    The Queen has sent an ‘olive branch’ to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in a statement released by Buckingham Palace today over their interview with Oprah Winfrey, according to royal experts.

    The sign off of the response, where the Queen says that the Sussexes are “loved” signals a desire to make amends, but out of the spotlight, Royal author Phil Dampier told the Sun.

    “I’m sure the Queen is desperate to heal the wounds and deal with this in private," he added.

    “These are real people in her family and while we all have a view there is real pain and anguish with father against son and brother against brother. Above all she wants to keep the identity of the senior royal who made the alleged remark about Archie’s skin colour a secret.

    “She knows that if it comes out that person will never be allowed to forget it, rightly or wrongly. By saying Harry and Meghan re lucky loved family members she is throwing out an olive branch and pleading with them not to say anymore and to calm down and start to build bridges.”

    PALACE FEARS MEGHAN AND HARRY MAY ‘NAME AND SHAME’ ROYAL

    Buckingham Palace is worried that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle could name and shame the royal who allegedly commented on the colour of Archie’s skin, according to reports.

    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made the bombshell claim that a member of the family was “concerned” about “how dark” his skin would be when he was born.

    Prince Charles is said to be “in despair” over Harry and Meghan’s jaw-dropping interview with Oprah Winfrey.

    Harry would not reveal the person’s identity during the interview but Oprah later said he told her it is not the Queen or Prince Philip.

    • Katie Davis

      EXPLAINED: PRINCE PHILIP'S BACKGROUND

      Prince Philip has been married to the Queen for more than 70 years.

      His father was Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, while his mother was Princess Alice of Battenberg.

      Prince Philip has been married to the Queen for more than seven decadesCredit: AP:Associated Press

      Philip was born on June 10, 1921, in Corfu, Greece, but his family was exiled when he was just a child.

      Raised in the UK, he was also educated in France and Germany, later joining the Navy and serving in World War II.

      A keen sports’ fan, he has been involved in a number of events including developing the equestrian event of carriage driving.

    • Katie Davis

      QUEEN TO PRIVATELY QUIZ SENIOR ROYALS OVER RACE ALLEGATIONS

      Senior royals will be personally quizzed by the Queen over Meghan and Prince Harry’s damaging racism claims.

      Her Majesty said in a statement today the accusations will be “addressed privately”.

      The monarch is to have private conversations with Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and others to establish what may have been said.

      The Sun told yesterday how the Duke and Duchess had already given differing accounts of the alleged racist remark — revealed in their bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey which was seen around the world.

      Meghan told Oprah a senior royal had quizzed her while she was pregnant on “how dark” their unborn son Archie would be. But Harry later said the remarks came in conversations before the couple were married and were about what their future children might look like.

    • Alice Fuller

      RACIST COMMENT NOT MADE BY QUEEN OR PHILIP, OPRAH SAYS

      The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have been ruled out as the mystery royal who made the racist comment about how dark their great-grandson Archie's skin would be.

      The Duke and Duchess of Sussex claim there had been "concerns and conversations" before their first child was born about his skin tone and "what that would mean or look like".

      It was one of a series of shocking revelations during a candid interview by the couple.

      Speaking hours after the bombshell interview aired in the US, Oprah Winfrey said Harry had not told her which member of the royal family was involved in the conversation, but added that he had said it was neither of his grandparents.

      She told CBS This Morning: "He did not share the identity with me but he wanted to make sure I knew, and if I had an opportunity to share it, that it was not his grandmother or grandfather that were part of those conversations. He did not tell me who was a part of those conversations."

    • Alice Fuller

      WHO WERE PHILIP'S PARENTS?

      Prince Philip may have married into the British royal family but he had regal ties himself having been born into Greek royalty.

      He was born to Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg on the Greek island of Corfu.

      A great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria, Princess Alice was born deaf, she married Prince Andrew of Greece, and was then cast into exile when the Greek royal family was overthrown.

      Prince Philip had a famously turbulent childhood and was forced to flee Greece in 1922 when Prince Andrew feared he would be executed during a military coup.

    • Alice Fuller

      MEG CALLED QUEEN TO ‘CHECK IN’ ON PHILIP

      During the highly anticipated Oprah interview, Meghan and Harry discussed the Duke of Edinburgh’s current medical condition.

      “This morning, I woke up earlier than H, and saw a note from someone on our team in the UK saying that the Duke of Edinburgh had gone to the hospital. 

      “But I just picked up the phone and I called the Queen just to check in.”

    • Katie Davis

      PHILIP SPENDS 22ND DAY IN CARE

      Today marks Prince Philip’s 18th consecutive day in care.

      He is expected to remain in King Edward VII’s hospital for the next few days.

      In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “Following the Duke of Edinburgh’s successful procedure at St Bartholomew’s Hospital on Wednesday, His Royal Highness has been transferred to King Edward VII’s Hospital this morning.

      “The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days.”

    • Katie Davis

      ROYAL REQUEST

      Prince Philip asked Charles to come and visit him in hospital to discuss the future of the Royal Family, an insider has revealed.

      Last weekend, Prince Charles visited his father in hospital and according to the Queen’s former press officer Dickie Arbiter, the visit would have been at Philip’s “request.”

      Read more here.

    • Katie Davis

      MEGHAN’S CALLS QUEEN 'JUST TO CHECK IN'

      The Duchess of Sussex said she phones the Queen “just to check in”.

      Meghan suggested that stepping down as working royals meant she and Harry did not have to follow royal protocols and could react to family events, like anyone else.

      During her interview with Oprah Winfrey, she recalled the first time she met the Queen, describing it as “lovely and easy”.

      Meghan said when the Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to hospital: “I just pick up the phone and I call the Queen – just to check in.

      “That’s what we do, it’s like being able to default to not having to every moment go ‘Is that appropriate?’.”

    • Katie Davis

      TIMELINE OF PHILIP’S STAY IN HOSPITAL

      • Tuesday February 16 2021 – The duke is admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital on a precautionary basis after feeling unwell.
      • Friday February 19 – Sources say Philip is now expected to remain in hospital for “observation and rest” over the weekend and into the next week.
      • Saturday February 20 – The Prince of Wales makes a 200 mile-round trip to see his father, spending around half an hour at the hospital.
      • Tuesday February 23 – Seven days after the duke was admitted, the Palace says he is being treated for an infection and is “comfortable and responding to treatment”, but is not expected to leave hospital for several more days. The Earl of Wessex says the duke is a “lot better” and looking forward to getting out.
      • Monday March 1 – Philip is transferred in an ambulance to St Bartholomew’s Hospital for treatment for an infection and testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace says. The duke is shielded from public view by large umbrellas as he leaves King Edward VII’s Hospital.
      • Thursday March 4 – Buckingham Palace confirms Philip has undergone a ‘successful’ heart operation and will remain in hospital for a ‘number of days’
      • Friday March 5 – After his successful heart operation, Buckingham Palace confirmed that Prince Philip was transferred back to King Edward VII hospital to recover this morning

      GET WELL PHIL

      Meghan Markle’s half-brother says the “entire Markle family” wishes Prince Philip a “speedy recovery” from his heart operation.

      Thomas Markle Jr wished the Duke of Edinburgh, 99, well after his successful op.

      Thomas Jr told Bild: “On behalf of the entire Markle family I wish Prince Philip a speedy recovery.

      “I hope all is going well over there from the Markle family.”

      QUEEN TO LAUNCH INVESTIGATION INTO MEGHAN’S RACE CLAIMS

      The Queen is to launch an investigation Meghan Markle’s claims about racism and will deal with the matter “privately”.

      Her Majesty has today made her first response to the tell-all chat Meghan and Prince Harry recorded with Oprah Winfrey.

      A statement from the palace says: “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. 

      ” Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”

      WHAT ARE PRINCE PHILIP’S THREE TITLES?

      Prince Philip married the Queen in 1947 – but was also given three other titles.

      These are:

      • Duke of Edinburgh
      • Earl of Merioneth
      • Baron Greenwich

      In 1957, the Queen made him an official Prince of the United Kingdom – which she made official in a new letters patent.

      • Katie Davis

        PIERS QUITS GOOD MORNING BRITAIN

        Piers Morgan has tonight QUIT Good Morning Britain after the show received 41,000 complaints over his comments on Meghan Markle’s Oprah interview.

        The firebrand TV host earlier stormed off the ITV show after becoming engaged in a row.

        The 55-year-old presenter sparked outrage after continuing to slam the former actress, claiming he didn’t believe she was left feeling suicidal.

        ITV said in a statement: “Following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain.

        “ITV has accepted this decision and has nothing further to add.”

      • Katie Davis

        PALACE STATEMENT SAYS ISSUES RAISED IN OPRAH CHAT ARE ‘CONCERNING’

        Buckingham Palace today responded to the tell-all chat Meghan Markle and Prince Harry recorded with Oprah Winfrey.

        A statement released on behalf of the Queen said: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years  have been for Harry and Meghan. 

        “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. 

        “Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. 

        “Harry, Meghan  and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

      • Katie Davis

        PRINCE OF WALES CHUCKLES WHEN ASKED IF HE’S WATCHED HARRY AND MEG INTERVIEW

        The Prince of Wales laughed nervously when he was asked if he had seen the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.

        Charles was questioned by the media as he made his first public appearance since Meghan and Harry’s devastating claim an un-named member of the royal family made a racist comment about their son.

        As Charles left following a visit to a pop-up vaccine clinic in a London church, a reporter asked, “Sir, what did you think of the interview?”, and after turning to see who had called out, he chuckled and carried on walking.

      • Katie Davis

        QUEEN RESPONDS TO BOMBSHELL INTERVIEW

        The “saddened” Queen today responded to Meghan Markle’s race claims her bombshell interview, saying: “Some recollections may vary”.

        Buckingham Palace has finally responded to the tell-all chat that saw Meghan break down in tears as she and Harry revealed the pressures they faced within the Firm.

        The interview was first aired in the US before being broadcast to British TV screens on ITV last night.

      Source: Read Full Article