12 Best Women's Work Shirts 2021 | The Sun UK
WITH autumn approaching, now is a great time to take stock of your work wardrobe and give it a boost with a crisp new shirt or two.
Whether you've been working as normal through lockdown, are headed back to the office or are still relying on Zoom to stay in touch with colleagues, this season's new shirts will elevate your work wardrobe and add a whole lot of polish to your professional attire.
The foundation for every wardrobe, a shirt is a go-to option on days you want to play it simple and elegant with minimal fuss. Simply throw on a shirt, add a tapered trouser or A-line skirt and you've got yourself an effortlessly chic work-appropriate look.
A shirt or blouse works just as well for more casual settings too: there's something so timeless about a white shirt and a pair of jeans that transcends trends, or why not try a bold print with a faux leather skirt for cocktail hour?
This season, the shops are stocked with some of the best women's work shirts. From slim-fit to oversized, cotton to silk, there's a style to suit everyone—and it just so happens we've picked out the best ones. Lucky you.
Take a look at our selection of work shirts below to refresh your wardrobe, whatever your budget.
This article and featured products have been independently chosen by Sun journalists. It contains links which are ads, and if you click a link and buy a product we will earn revenue.
1. Best white work shirt: Levi's Women's The Classic Bw Shirt
- (AD) Levi's Women's The Classic Bw Shirt, from £25.76 from Amazon – buy here
Levi's may be most known for its jeans, but the rest of its clothing offering is just as covetable—much like this chic white shirt.
Made from pure cotton with a classic fit and long sleeves, this is an absolute staple in every woman's wardrobe. Wear it with cigarette trousers for work, jeans at the weekend, or a pair of faux leather skinnies for a sultry evening look.
2. Best short sleeve work shirt: Goodthreads' Lightweight Poplin Short-Sleeve Button-Front Shirt
- (AD) Goodthreads Women's Lightweight Poplin Short-Sleeve Button-Front Shirt, from £26.40 from Amazon – buy here
A good arsenal of short sleeve shirts is an essential for work: especially in warmer weather or stuffy offices.
With a classic blue and white stripe design that's ultra work-friendly, this button-front style from Goodthreads is a versatile piece you can build many outfits around.
It comes with plenty of 5-star reviews too, with one person commenting: "Fits perfectly, nice material and smart enough for work."
Who could argue with that?
3. Best open-collar shirt: 12 Storeez Button-Up Long-Sleeved Shirt
- 12 Storeez Button-Up Long-Sleeved Shirt, £57 from Farfetch – buy here
When you need elegantly sophisticated pieces, look no further than Russian brand 12 Storeez – this Button-Up Long-Sleeved Shirt says it all.
An open, sharp collar like this one looks immediately much smarter than classic silhouettes, especially because the shirt's cut from 100percent cotton.
Wear yours with everything, from black cigarette pants to floral tailored flares.
4. Best shirt to wear with jeans: River Island Navy Tie Waist Embellished Shirt
- Navy Tie Waist Embellished Shirt, £36 from River Island – buy here
Nowadays, lots of people choose to wear jeans to work but that doesn't mean that shirts should be out of the question.
River Island's Navy Tie Waist Embellished Shirt is just the right balance of smart and stylish, with embellished buttons and a tie-up waist.
Team yours with straight leg denim and loafers.
5. Best silky shirt: Boden Silk Collarless Blouse – Ivory
- Silk Collarless Blouse – Ivory, £98 from Boden – buy here
Nothing looks more luxurious and expensive than a silk shirt and Boden have the perfect office-ready design.
In a classic icy white shade, it drapes elegantly across the body with a stylish loose fit.
Make sure that you either hand wash this one, or send it to the dry cleaners, to ensure that you don't ruin the premium feel.
6. Best Peter Pan-collar work shirt: BA&SH Ariel Ruffle-Trim Woven Shirt
- BA&SH Ariel Ruffle-Trim Woven Shirt, £140 from Selfridges – buy here
Ruffles have the power to elevate your bog-standard blouse.
From the ruffle-trim cuffs to the Peter Pan-collar, this BA&SH shirt is a definite favourite that we can see uniforming lots of post-work drinks.
It'll work well with chinos and tailored trousers in the week, then dungarees or pinafore dresses on the weekends.
7. Best vibrant work shirt: Mango's Oversize Cotton Shirt
- Oversize Cotton Shirt, £29.99 from Mango – buy here
Want to brighten up the office ambiance? You'll definite do just that in Mango's Oversize Cotton Shirt.
We don't know about you, but we're obsessed with the flamingo-pink shade and oversized chic fit.
This gem's also part of Mango's Committed Collection, made from sustainable materials or processes.
8. Best patterned shirt: New Look White Dogtooth Puff Sleeve Long Shirt
- White Dogtooth Puff Sleeve Long Shirt, £19.99 from New Look – buy here
Why not introduce a bit of pattern into your work wardrobe?
Featuring an all-over houndstooth print, this shirt from New Look is an absolute steal for less than £20.
Tuck yours into white cigarette pants with a black blazer for an easy monochrome look.
9. Best classic work shirt: Finery London Cotton Collared Relaxed Long Sleeve Shirt
- Finery London Cotton Collared Relaxed Long Sleeve Shirt, £35 from M&S – buy here
If you haven't got a staple white shirt for work then you need one. So we're introducing you to the Finery London Cotton Collared Relaxed Long Sleeve Shirt.
For £35, it's not too expensive yet it's made from cotton-rich fabric with a relaxed fit and classic button-through front.
You can wear the cuffs up (as pictured) or down like a more ordinary design, either way this is such a easy-to-style shirt,
10. Weekday Beam Organic Cotton shirt in Blue and White Stripe
- Weekday Beam Organic Cotton shirt in Blue and White Stripe, £25 from Asos – buy here
Pinstripes and Weekday's Scandi-cool aesthetic are a match made in work shirt heaven. Just look at this organic cotton blouse.
There's nothing a lightweight, navy and white shirt won't work with.
Our advice to you: it's cut in a boxy fit which will flatter your figure when worn with streamlined trousers.
11. Best stretch shirt: &OtherStories Fitted Shirt
- Fitted Shirt, £65 from &OtherStories – buy here
&OtherStories proves that shirts don't have to be rigid with their beautiful red Fitted Shirt.
The fit is flattering, the cuffs add an elegant edge and most of all, it's much comfier than crisp styles.
We're thinking: dark grey tailored trousers, heeled boots, and then red lipstick for your post-work dinner date.
12. Best broderie Anglaise shirt: Boden Clare Broderie Shirt – Navy
- Clare Broderie Shirt – Navy, £85 from Boden – buy here
The needlework of Broderie Anglaise will forever add elegance to shirts.
Made from pure cotton, this smart shirt has ruffles at the cuff and collar, available in either white or navy.
Tuck yours into cream tailoring for a failsafe outfit that will instil you with confidence for a day of meetings.
Where can i buy womens work shirts
The term 'work shirts' holds a loose definition in 2021.
It can refer to clean-cut styles ready for a day of stocks and shares, or a bold blouse that looks stylish yet immaculate for our creatives out there.
In other words, there are women's work shirts all over the high-street and online: Asos, John Lewis, M&S, Selfridges… the list goes on.
Do women have to tuck their shirt in at work
Certain shirts can still look really smart without being tucked in, such as those with a purposely oversized fit or fitted silhouettes.
Yet sometimes, it's best to tuck in your shirt so that it goes well with two-piece tailoring, especially when you have important meetings.
Everyone's workplace has different dress codes, so you should always double check those before taking our advice, though.
Enjoyed our guide for the best women’s work shirts? Why not check out this season's best oversized bags?
We've also rounded up the best winter coats here.
And check out our dedicated Sun Selects fashion section for more style tips, trends and products.
Source: Read Full Article