Frail Tom Girardi, 83, appears in court as judge orders mental competency hearing
Erika Jayne reacts to Tom Girardi’s embezzlement indictment
Tom Girardi indicted for allegedly embezzling more than $15M from clients
‘RHOBH’ star Diana Jenkins to distribute funds to Tom Girardi’s alleged victims
Tom Girardi wasn’t disbarred despite hundreds of complaints filed against him
Recently indicted Tom Girardi was present for an initial appearance in Los Angeles federal court on Monday, where he was ordered to undergo a mental competency evaluation, Page Six can exclusively report.
Initial appearances usually entail a bond hearing and the defendant’s arraignment; however, during the 15-minute gathering, United States Magistrate Judge Karen L. Stevenson entered a not-guilty plea on behalf of the frail-looking disbarred attorney, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia in March 2021.
She also sealed all records pertaining to his mental health.
Furthermore, Judge Stevenson set the 83-year-old’s bond at $250,000 with the understanding that his brother-turned-conservator, Robert Girardi, will have custody over him.
Robert, who was present in court, confirmed he understood the order and said he would sign the bond agreement.
Meanwhile, Tom — who was wearing a plum sweater atop a white button-down shirt with black slacks, black dress shoes and a black face mask — remained silent as he scratched his head and leaned back in his chair a few times.
Judge Stevenson also said she reviewed the alleged scammer’s financial affidavit and found that he qualified to be represented by a public defender; his lawyers are Deputy Federal Public Defenders Craig Harbaugh and Georgina Wakefield.
A grand jury indicted the estranged husband of “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” star Erika Jayne last week on five counts of wire fraud charges for allegedly embezzling more than $15 million from his clients.
According to the Department of Justice, Tom and Christopher Kazuo Kamon — the former CFO of now-defunct law firm Girardi & Keese, who is in currently federal custody — allegedly orchestrated “elaborate” lies in order to misappropriate their clients’ settlement funds.
The DOJ accused the pair of using their clients’ winnings to fund payroll, personal expenses and other clients’ settlement funds that had previously been misappropriated.
The indictment came almost three months after it was revealed that Tom had gotten away with “serious failures” throughout his lengthy legal career, as the State Bar of California received hundreds of complaints against him and failed to take appropriate action.
The IRS Criminal Investigation agency and the FBI are probing the case against the alleged fraudster — which could see him facing up to 20 years in prison — with the assistance of the Office of the US Trustee.
Meanwhile, Jayne — who has been adamant that she had no involvement in or even knowledge of her spouse of 21 years’ alleged crimes — recently teased that she has “something to say” about the indictment, but she won’t be talking “right now.”
However, when paparazzi asked the Bravolebrity, 51, point-blank whether she was worried about her “situation,” she replied, “No.”
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article