Patriots dragged back into COVID-19 chaos after player tests positive

The Patriots are not out of the woods just yet.

A day after they resumed practice, with Cam Newton and Stephon Gilmore back on the field after coming off the reserve/COVID-19 list, the Patriots cancelled Friday’s practice after another test came back positive, according to multiple reports.

ESPN reported the team had one positive COVID-19 test and was awaiting confirmation on another positive test.

The Patriots’ game Sunday against the Broncos could now be in danger once again, after it was postponed from last Sunday because of positive tests. Both teams had last week turned into a bye week and another postponement could add more chaos to the NFL’s schedule.

Newton was first revealed to have tested positive for COVID-19 on Oct. 3, though the Patriots played two days later against the Chiefs. In the days that followed, Gilmore, defensive tackle Byron Cowart and practice squad defensive lineman Bill Murray all reportedly tested positive for the virus, leading to their Oct. 11 game against the Broncos being postponed.

While the Patriots awaited further testing, two other teams appeared to get back on track to play Sunday after going through COVID-19 scares.

A member of the Falcons organization had tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, leading to a stoppage of all in-person work at their facility and going virtual “out of an abundance of caution,” the team said. ESPN reported the positive test was from a personnel official, not a player. The Falcons announced Friday they had resumed in-person work at their facility while working “under the NFL’s supplemental intensive protocols,” with their game Sunday against the Vikings appearing to remain on as scheduled.

The Colts, meanwhile, had four COVID-19 tests come back positive on Friday morning, but they have since been proven to be false positives, according to subsequent testing done by the team.

“After consultation with the NFL and chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills, the team will open the practice facility this afternoon under the league’s intensive protocol and will continue preparation for Sunday’s game against Cincinnati,” the team said in a statement.

The Colts’ scare came a week after the Jets had shut down their facility for a day following a positive test, which was eventually shown to be a false positive.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article