Audi driver ‘late for work’ caught at 151mph on motorway
Builder caught by police driving his Audi at 151mph on the motorway ‘because he was late for work’ is banned from roads for 15 months
- Ricardo Thompson, 21, was captured on the M23 at Crawley driving at speed
- He apologised to police and said he was rushing to get to work on time
- The builder from West Sussex admitted dangerous driving
- He has been banned for 15 months and made to carry out 150 hours of work
A builder has been captured speeding at 151mph on the M23 by police because he was ‘late to work’.
Ricardo Thompson, from Lancing in West Sussex, was recorded in his Audi TT RS at more than double the speed limit on the northbound carriageway in Crawley.
Police released the shocking video footage which shows Thompson, 21, taking a bend at the break-neck speed in the £50,000 car.
The video, filmed at 10.45am on Saturday, August 25, clocks the driver accelerating from 139mph to 151mph as he comes off a bend.
Fortunately no other cars appeared to be near him as he hit the top speed.
The 21-year-old pleaded guilty at Crawley Magistrates’ Court to dangerous driving and has been banned from the roads for 15 months.
He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work, pay £85 costs and an £85 victim surcharge.
The builder said his reason for speeding was ‘to get to work on time’ and he has since apologised for his reckless driving
The footage captured by police show the driver accelerating to a top speed of 151mph in his Audi TT RS
A Sussex Police spokesperson said: ‘In police interview, Thompson was apologetic for his actions, and said his reason for speeding was to get to work on time.’
Chris Snell, of the Sussex Police safety camera team, said: ‘Exceeding the speed limit is dangerous and can have devastating consequences.
‘Every year, our officers have the unenviable task of passing a death message on to numerous families of victims involved in speed-related collisions.’
The conviction comes as West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service launched a campaign for motorists to slow down after 16 people died and a further 239 were seriously injured by speed-related collisions in Sussex last year.
The 21-year-old pleaded guilty at Crawley Magistrates’ Court to dangerous driving and has been banned from the roads for 15 months
Source: Read Full Article