Brit dad bitten twice and left blind by king cobra curled up under sofa

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A British dad has opened up on the terrifying moment he was bitten twice by a king cobra, leaving him blind.

Ian Jones, 50, from the Isle of Wight, was in northern India last year, battling with Covid-19 for the second time, when he was attacked by one of the world’s deadliest snakes.

The charity worker spent three weeks in hospital, in and out of a coma, and was given anti-venom, oxygen and CPR to help him survive, The Sun reports.

Although Ian is now permanently blind from the effects of the bites, he has been told by doctors that he was incredibly lucky to survive, as one bite has enough venom to kill 20 men, let alone two.

This was the 50-year-old’s first encounter with a snake in his four years visiting and working in the Asian country.

Recalling the incident, he said: “I leaned over the sofa to pet him (dog Rocky) but didn’t realise there was a cobra curled up under the sofa. It struck me twice right on the back of my hand.

“The bites were not as painful as you might think at first, it is a temporary pain like when you step on a nail, but then the venom starts working quickly.

  • Man wakes up with rabid bat on neck in middle of night and dies from rabies

Shortly after however, the pain became “excruciating” for Ian, who had to put a tourniquet on his arm to stop the venom from spreading.

He was rushed to the local village hospital, where colleagues were forced to purchase the correct anti-venom from an external store.

He spent the following week slipping in and out of a coma state and was given CPR several times to restart his heart.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Eight days later he was transferred to the largest hospital in Jaipur – the state’s capital.

That’s when he was finally able to talk to his family for the first time since the snake attack.

His eyesight however soon began to deteriorate, and he had lost feeling in his legs after he was transferred to intensive care.

He said: "After I left the Covid ward my eyes started to go, but the doctors weren't sure if it was the bit or the medication I was on or what that had caused it.

"I was also struggling to breathe, couldn't use my legs and couldn't see very well.

"I remember the doctors asking me what I could see… I asked them to turn on the lights so I could see in a brighter room – but the lights were already on, it was just dark for me."

After three weeks in hospital, Ian managed to arrange a flight back home to be reunited with his family.

However, despite his ordeal and life-threatening experience, he is heading back to India on Sunday to continue his charity work at Sabirian, which he founded in 2017.

He said: "A lot of people rely on us out there, and we need to get back to work again.

"My family and worried about me going back, but they understand what we are trying to achieve out there. I was always going to return."

  • Family
  • Animals

Source: Read Full Article