Couple jailed after feeding dog sausages laced with anti-freeze and stabbing it to death
When Mr Joynes later questioned Horvath, she admitted she fed the dog anti-freeze and then stabbed Luna, who had recently given birth to 12 puppies.
After going online to research how to kill a dog, Horvath said she fed the animal chicken and sausages laced with anti-freeze.
The court heard Horvath thought the dog would die quickly but the animal lay in the alleyway lingering to life.
On the third day Horvath took a large knife and later stabbed the animal in the throat.
Mr Murphy made it clear the couple would have been able to see the dog as it lay whimpering in the alleyway over a three day period.
District Judge Nicholas Sanders told the court the case was one of “unimaginable cruelty”.
Farkas, 29, of Birkenhead, pleaded guilty to two counts of causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal.
Horvath, 28, also of Birkenhead, pleaded guilty to two counts of causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal, one count of poisoning and failing to see that the dog received proper medical attention.
Horvath told probation officers they had been reviled by the local community after the incident and had to move to a new address.
Farkas claimed Luna became aggressive toward them after she gave birth to puppies — which led up to the attack on him.
He alleged to have suffered a panic attack after the dog attacked him and said that was why his partner decided to kill it.
District Judge Sanders told the couple: “You struck the dog with a metal bar, and then you poisoned it with anti-freeze before stabbing it.
“It is hard to imagine a more cruel way of dealing with an animal.”
He jailed them both for 10 weeks and banned them from keeping animals for 10 years.
A male American bulldog and 12 puppies were seized from Horvath’s and Farkas’ address by police while an investigation was carried out.
Vet examinations of the puppies showed that they were suffering from respiratory illnesses.
All 12 puppies have now been rehomed.
The male dog is now in RSPCA care and will be re-homed.
Source: Read Full Article