Face-tattooed thug tried to grab police woman’s gun while cuffed to hospital bed

A brute in handcuffs was shot dead with a gun he tried snatching from a police officer in hospital.

Tyson Jessen, 28, was killed on November 10, 2018, after an "exceptionally brave" nurse defended a police officer he pulled to the ground and punched in the face, a coroner has been told.

Nurse Gabrielle Kelly stepped in and "physically confronted" the prisoner as he reached for Senior Constable Leesa Richardson's gun in Ipswich Hospital, Queensland, Australia.

Thanks to the intervening nurse, Sen Const Richardson was able to reach for the gun and fatally shoot Jessen three times.

The 28-year-old's attack however landed her in a hospital bed soon after.

State Coroner Terry Ryan will recommend Ms Kelly receive a bravery award for her actions, Mail Online reports.

Sen Const Richardson said she didn't hear the shackled Jessen leap from his hospital bed to launch an attack on her as she finished a phone call.

Standard practice meant the officer was left alone guarding the prisoner while her colleague grabbed dinner.

At the inquest, Sen Const Richardson admitted: "That was a poor decision on my behalf, I was complacent in my decision-making process."

  • Taliban fighters round up terrified women in supermarket car park and open fire

As she came off the phone to inform her superior that she was now alone, Jessen grabbed her, pulled her to the ground, and twice punched her in the face.

The crook ripped off Sen Const Richardson's shirt and bra before trying to grab her gun from its holster.

In responding to the police officer's call for help, Ms Kelly rushed to her defence only for Jessen to push her away.

It was enough of a distraction for Sen Const Richardson to shoot Jessen three times before "shimmying" her way out the room.

  • Government mixed messages over possible 'firebreak' holiday extension for schools

The heavily tattooed gym addict was arrested the day before at World Gym in Ipswich after Victorian police described him as violent.

Police documents included a snap of Jessen holding a handgun. He tried running from handcuffs only to throw up and complain of chest pain before being assessed by paramedics.

Constable Isaac Collihole told the inquest there was nothing about Jessen to suggest he required additional security at the hospital.

But admitted that in hindsight Jessen may have deliberately been "buttering up" officers.

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

Another officer told the inquest Jessen had earlier been freed of his handcuffs to allow him to eat and receive medical treatment.

"A handcuffed prisoner makes it very difficult for hospital staff to do their job," he added.

The inquest is considering the facilities and resources available to accommodate and supervise people in police custody at the hospital and the steps to manage the risk of accommodating Jessen there, Mail Online reports.

Coroner Ryan will also look at how appropriate the actions were of the actions of police officers guarding Jessen and whether they were told all that they should have been about him.

Source: Read Full Article