Hiker dies after plunging 80ft in horror fall while climbing down mountain peak

A hiker was killed after an 80ft plunge from a Scottish mountainside.

Mike Campbell, 63, died on Sunday after falling over the Isle of Skye peak in "extreme weather", cops said.

Tributes poured in for the well-liked hiker, a member of the Kilmarnock Mountaineering Club, The Sun reported.

Its chairman Mark Dootson wrote on Facebook that Mike was a valued member of the community.

Mark wrote: "It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our member Mike Campbell on Sunday as the result of a tragic accident on Blaven on Skye.

"Details are very limited at the moment, but our thoughts are with his sons, his mum and the rest of his extended family."

Emergency services were called to the scene at 1.20pm on Sunday after Mike's walking companion said something was wrong.

A coastguard helicopter was sent from Inverness but as weather conditions grew more torrid, rescuers were forced to finish the search on foot.

Skye Mountain Rescue released a statement on Facebook confirming they were called out to a tragedy.

They wrote: "An immediate request for helicopter assistance was made along with a full team call out.

"At around 15:30 a weather front pushed through making any further uplift or searching by the helicopter impossible and the remaining team made their way on foot to around 700m.

"Sadly, at 17:00 the missing male was found deceased after falling approximately 80m."

The heroic rescue team added: "His companion who raised the alarm was accompanied to safe ground and walked off the hill.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here.

"32 rescuers were involved in the search and recovery operation, on precarious ground, in an incident that lasted over eight hours.

"Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of the deceased."

Police Scotland confirmed there were no suspicions of any foul play.

Source: Read Full Article