Meghan Markle praises Grenfell community kitchen workers from her $14m mansion

Meghan Markle has praised the "incredible" achievements of the women behind a Grenfell community kitchen via a phone call from her $14million (£10.2m) Santa Barbara home.

The Duchess of Sussex, 40, had a chat with those who created the Hubb community kitchen in west London following the Grenfell fire, The Evening Standard reported.

The initiative has long been supported by the Sussexes. which was set up to provide support and hot meals for the bereaved families following the Grenfell blaze, which tragically killed 72 people on June 14, 2017.

Making a call from her mansion in California, the Duchess of Sussex said she was "most proud" of the women for continuing "to take care of everyone in the community".

Meghan has developed a close relationship with the Hubb community kitchen after the release of her 2018 charity cookbook 'Together', her first solo venture as a royal, Mail Online reported.

In her call, Meghan said: "We founded Hubb together and I think what I’m most proud of is what you’ve all been able to do, not just what we created to meet an immediate need right after the fire."

She added: "Beyond that, what you turned it into as a group and individually is incredible, you’ve just continued to take care of everyone in the community."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Chérine Mallah, one of the Hubb volunteers, said that they were "really happy" to get a call from Meghan.

"It is massive for us. The next days of our lives are just the same but we know that someone as famous as Meghan is backing us. It is really lovely," she said.

Meghan had previously had a call with several members of the group in April 2020 to discuss how the initiative could be adapted during lockdowns.

The kitchen was launched by Grenfell survivors at Al Manaar mosque following the tragic fire at the 24-storey flat.

Source: Read Full Article