Oprah says Meghan’s rift with dad is ‘similar’ to William and Harry’s fall-out
CBS have released unpublished clips from the groundbreaking Oprah interview in which Meghan discusses her father in public for the first time.
In it, the Duchess makes clear that while she and her father used to be close, but have not spoken for years.
Thomas claims that he has yet to meet his grandson Archie.
Speaking on CBS This Morning about the groundbreaking interview, Oprah said:
“From what I gathered, her relationship with her father is similar to what’s happening with Prince Harry and Prince William.
“That there’s distance there and maybe with time things will get better, but for now, no.”
The news will amaze royal fans because Meghan and Thomas’ relationship is extremely difficult after he became caught in a media frenzy in the run up to her and Harry’s wedding.
Meghan even said to Oprah that “I lost my father” in the interview. She also praised her mother Doria Ragland for keeping a “silent dignity” by refusing to speak to the media while Meghan was a working royal.
This week Thomas told Good Morning Britain that he had not spoken to his daughter for four years.
Speaking of their relationship, he added: “She can be angry with me, I can tell how angry she is, but I’m still her dad.”
Harry also touched upon the relationship with his brother William during the Oprah interview, claiming William was ‘trapped’ in the system of the monarchy because he is second-in-line to the throne.
He said their relationship “is space at the moment”, but added “time heals all things, hopefully.
“I love William to bits. He’s my brother. We’ve been through hell together. I mean, we have a shared experience.
“But, we, you know, we’re on different paths.”
Nonetheless, royal commentators have speculated about whether the royal brothers have spoken at all over the last year.
William was approached on Thursday and asked whether he had spoken to his brother after his interview.
Prince William responded: “Not yet, but I will do.”
Chris Ship from ITV tweeted: “After a year without speaking, Princes William and Harry make contact.”
He claimed that he had heard “of some movement in the brothers’ communications” in the days after the interview was broadcast.
He clarified: “I don’t know exactly what that movement is but it suggests they may have messaged one another to arrange, as William promised today, some kind of conversation.”
He also added: “If William is good to his word, this could be the opportunity both brothers needed to start repairing the deep tear in their relationship which has developed in recent years.”
Mr. Ship also said that he thought that William’s decision to respond to the doorstep question, which broke the Palace’s rule of “never complain, never explain”, showed that he understands how crucial it is that he rebuilds his bond with Harry.
He claimed that this was not just for the brothers, but “for the Royal Family more widely”.
However, a source told The Sun that William is “livid” about the interview.
The brothers were once perceived as a double-act on the royal circuit, and often spoke about their “unique bond” after growing up together in the public eye.
But the pair grew apart after Harry married Meghan and the Sussexes set up their own charitable foundation and moved away from Kensington Palace estate where the Cambridges live.
The rift is said to have grown after the Sussexes announced their decision to “step back” from being working royals last January.
William was so angry that he is alleged to have refused to have lunch with Harry days later in Sandringham while they were figuring out the details of the Sussexes’ post-royal life.
Royal biographer Robert Lacey claimed: “He would obviously turn up at 2pm for the meeting, he said, but he only wanted to talk business.
“The Prince himself has not confirmed his friends’ speculation that he was so furious with his younger brother that he would not be able to endure the hypocrisy of smiling at him over lunch.”
The two brothers reportedly did not speak until they attended the Commonwealth Day service two months later as part of the Sussexes’ final royal engagements.
Mr. Lacey also claimed that the fallout between the princes “could cause immense damage to the monarchy.”
Source: Read Full Article