Prince Philip ‘extremely upset’ by ‘cruel’ The Crown scene that ‘twisted truth’
Prince Philip was left 'extremely upset' at how his sister's death was portrayed in Netflix show The Crown, a royal historian has said.
One of the scenes, which alludes it could have been partly his fault, sees him get a cruel dressing down by his father at the funeral.
Philip's sister Princess Cecilie was just 26 years old and heavily pregnant when she died in a plane crash. Tragically she had gone into labour on the flight and the baby's body was found in the wreckage.
The Duke of Edinburgh's father, Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, is seen on season 2 of The Crown telling him: “It’s because of you boy that we are burying my favourite child".
But this has been blasted as simply untrue.
In the lead up to Princess Cecilie's death, it shows a young Philip at school before he's due to visit his sister in Germany during half-term.
In the episode he gets in trouble at school and is told he can't go, so his pregnant sister changes her plans and decides to go to a wedding in England instead.
But on November 16, 1937 the plane she was in with her husband, sons and mother-in-law hit a factory chimney in thick fog and the entire family were killed.
Historian Hugo Vickers previously told Dan Snow’s History Hit podcast: “I think that’s monstrous. It’s cruel and Prince Philip, I happen to know, was extremely upset about this.”
Mr Vickers also previously told Vogue: “There was no fight, almost certainly no half-term, and Prince Philip would not have gone to Germany any way.
Baby name Kate Middleton 'had heart set on' – but other royal may swipe it
“His sister was always coming to the wedding. Yes, the plane crashed and she, her husband, her two boys, and her widowed mother-in-law were all killed along with the others on board: pilot, lady-in-waiting, et cetera."
He added: “Prince Philip was called into his headmaster’s study and has written of the profound shock he experienced on hearing the news, made worse by the fact that his sister was pregnant.
“The child, a baby boy, was born in the trauma of the accident. Prince Philip had nothing to do with the accident at all."
Royal historians have previously warned viewers not to believe everything they see on the screen with even The Crown's creator Peter Morgan admitting he has used artistic licence for the hit show.
Mr Vickers continued: “I am one of the few people who doesn’t like The Crown, simply because it is based on real people, it purports to be real people, but they are put into fictional situations.
“The truth is twisted, the facts are twisted to what they want to do. Obviously they are trying to make good drama and I think they succeed.
“What they seem to do is take two things that kind of happened then clash them together to make something that absolutely didn’t happen.”
Mr Vickers said it was also untrue that Philip, now 99, refused to kneel during the Queen’s coronation in June, 1953.
And he said one of the most outrageous scenes was Charles being bullied at school as it alluded that Philip didn’t like his eldest son, so sent him to the “ghastly” place.
Strict rules Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank must follow after birth of Royal baby
He added on the podcast that “in theory” he believes the Royal Family do not watch The Crown, but they know what is in it “because people tell them”.
“He [Philip] was very upset about the way his family had been treated,” said Mr Vickers as he urged people not to take the show as gospel truth.
In an interview with The Telegraph, The Crown's creator Peter Morgan admits that he's never met the Queen and is open about the artistic licence he uses on the show.
Mr Morgan said: "It’s as if I was painting a portrait – I can’t take my hand out of it, whereas if absolute accuracy was all you were after you would take a photograph with flat light.
"But that’s not what we’re doing here. You try to get yourself into her head and respond to the challenges she faces.
“There are times when I would really like her to respond in a certain way, but after a while you sort of know – ‘She would never have said that'. But what do I know? I’ve never met the woman.”
Meanwhile, Prince Philip is currently in hospital.
The Duke was taken to the King Edward VII Hospital in London on Tuesday evening as a "precautionary measure" following a discussion with his doctor.
He was reportedly "feeling unwell" and will remain in hospital for "a few days of observation" and rest.
A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace said in a statement: "His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.
"The Duke's admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness's Doctor, after feeling unwell."
Source: Read Full Article