Vienna shooting LIVE: 14 arrested in raids during manhunt for terrorists who killed 4 in gun rampage near synagogue

COPS have arrested 14 people in the 1,000 person manhunt for the ISISterrorists behind a massacre near a synagogue in Vienna.

Austria's public broadcaster, ORF, cited witnesses saying several shots were fired shortly after 8pm (7pm GMT) in the centre of the capital on Monday.

Four people were killed and 22 people injured as a result of the attacks, which took place at six different locations near the Stadttempel synagogue.

One police officer was also shot and injured. Several perpetrators are said to be at large and on the run, according to the Austrian Interior Ministrty.

A gunman named as Kurtin S armed with an assault rifle and wearing a fake bomb vest was shot dead following the rampage.

Prior to the massacre Kurtin S announced his attack on Instagram and pledged allegiance to ISIS. He is understood to be a 20-year-old dual citizen of Austria and North Macedonia who'd previously been jailed for trying to travel to Syria.

Follow our Vienna Shootings blog for the latest news and updates

  • Hana Carter

    'NOT A FIGHT BETWEEN CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS'

    Austria’s chancellor, Sebastian Kurz said: “The enemy, the Islamist terror, wants to split our society, but we will give no space to this hatred,” he said.

    “Our enemies are not the members of a religious community, these are terrorists.

    “This is not a fight between Christians and Muslims, or Austrians and migrants, but a fight between civilisation and barbarity.”

  • Hana Carter

    WHO WERE THE VICTIMS?

    According to a statement issued by Amaq News Agency posted on Telegram, the victims were “an elderly man, an elderly woman, a young male passerby and a waitress.”

    Austria's chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, praised a police officer shot in the attack and who is in a critical but stable condition as brave.

    He branded the attackers as “cold blooded” and pledged that everything would be done to find the gunmen.

  • Hana Carter

    MILITARY PATROL OUTSIDE ST. STEPHEN'S CATHEDRAL IN VIENNA

  • Hana Carter

    ATTACKER 'WEARING FAKE EXPLOSIVE BELT' COPS SAY

    Addressing a news conference, Mr Nehammer said police had searched the home of the dead gunman and seized video material.

    He had been wearing a fake explosive belt, police said.

    The man was originally from North Macedonia and had a previous conviction for terrorist association.

  • Hana Carter

    THREE MEN PRAISED FOR HELPING POLICE

    Three men have been praised for helping emergency services and an elderly woman during Monday's attack.

    Recep Gultekin was shot in the leg while aiding the woman with his friend, Mikail Özen.

    They also carried an injured police officer to safety after a Palestinian man, Osama Joda, gave him first aid.

  • Hana Carter

    TWENTY TWO WOUNDED IN ATTACK

    Twenty two people were wounded in the attack.

    Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said the four who died were an elderly woman, an elderly man, a young male passer-by and a waitress. Witnesses described how the gunmen had opened fire on people outside bars and chased them as they fled inside.

    It was clearly an attack driven by “hatred of our way of life, our democracy”, the chancellor said. He earlier spoke of a “repulsive terror attack”.

  • Hana Carter

    PICTURED – DRINKS AND TABLES ABANDONED NEAR THE SCENE OF THE ATTACK

  • Claudia Aoraha

    DEATH TOLL REACHES 5

    Five people died during an attack in Austria’s capital on Monday night, two male and two female civilians, and one gunman who was killed by police.

    Police said they were not certain how many attackers were on the streets and several people have been arrested.

    Schools were be closed in Vienna on Tuesday and the country has declared three days of mourning.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    GUNMAN SEND VID OF CHARLIE HEBDO MASSACRE TO SUSPECT ACCOMPLICES

    An ISIS gunman who killed four people in a rampage through Vienna sent videos of the Charlie Hebdo massacre to suspected accomplices.

    It is claimed convicted jihadi Kujtim Fejzulai sent the sick video to two unnamed associates as cops are reportedly investigating whether this may have been a call to arms.

    Fejzulai sent clips of the 2015 slaughter, which saw 12 journalists killed by two jihadis at the French magazine's office in Paris, before launching his own attack in Vienna, Austria.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    14 ARRESTS MADE

    Cops have carried out a series of raids and made 14 arrests in the hours since a gunman murdered four people in the heart of Vienna.

    The man blamed for carrying out the attack was a 20-year-old “Islamist terrorist” who was released early from jail in December 2019.

    Security has been tight in the Austrian capital as police launched a manhunt for further attackers.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    DEAD GUNMAN WAS 'WEARING FAKE EXPLOSIVE BELT' COPS SAY

    Addressing a news conference, Mr Nehammer said police had searched the home of the dead gunman and seized video material.

    He had been wearing a fake explosive belt, police said.

    The man was originally from North Macedonia and had a previous conviction for terrorist association.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    WAITRESS, PASSER-BY AND ELDERLY COUPLE VICTIMS OF THE ATTACK

    Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said the four who died were an elderly woman, an elderly man, a young male passer-by and a waitress.

    Witnesses described how the gunmen had opened fire on people outside bars and chased them as they fled inside.

    It was clearly an attack driven by “hatred of our way of life, our democracy”, the chancellor said. He earlier spoke of a “repulsive terror attack”.

    The nation was engaged not in a battle between Christians and Muslims, he stressed, but “between civilisation and barbarism”.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    HIGH ALERT IN VIENNA

    Military police guard the building of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in the city centre the day after a deadly shooting spree in Vienna.

  • Niamh Cavanagh

    VIENNA ATTACKER WAS NEUTRALISED WITHIN NINE MINUTES

    The man who killed four people and injured 22 others during an attack in Vienna was neutralised by armed police within nine minutes, Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said at a news conference on Tuesday.

    The attack began around 8 pm local time (1900 GMT) on Monday.

    Officers from a specialist unit were called to the scene and ended the incident by shooting the man dead by 8.09 pm, Nehammer said.

    Without their rapid intervention, the incident could have been even worse, he said.

  • Niamh Cavanagh

    BORIS JOHNSON VOICES SHOCK AT DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS IN VIENNA

    The Prime Minister has expressed his deep shock at the “terrible attacks” in Vienna which have left three people dead and several injured.

    Police in the Austrian capital said the attack was considered to have an Islamist motive, with a suspect – who was shot dead by police – armed with an assault rifle, carrying other handguns, and wearing a fake explosive belt.

    Shots were fired at six different locations in the city centre on Monday evening and two men and one woman were killed.

    Authorities are looking to determine if other attackers may be on the run.

    Both Boris Johnson and Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted to express solidarity with Austria after the deadly attack.

    Mr Johnson said: “I am deeply shocked by the terrible attacks in Vienna tonight. The UK's thoughts are with the people of Austria – we stand united with you against terror.”

  • Claudia Aoraha

    PRESIDENT MACRON SHOWS HIS RESPECTS

    French President Emmanuel Macron, left, has been welcomed by Deputy Head of Mission at the Austrian embassy Wolfgang Wagner, right, as he arrives to sign a condolence book for victims of the Vienna attack, in Paris, France.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    1,000 PERSON MANHUNT

    At least 1,000 police officers are now part of a massive manhunt to search for any accomplices – or other gunmen – who may have aided Fejzulai.

    Some 15 houses have been searched in the hunt.

    It remains unclear how many gunmen launched the hour-long onslaught near Vienna’s main synagogue on the Seitenstettengasse.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    SECURITY AROUND THE CEREMONY

    Policemen secure the area prior to a ceremony to pay homage to the victims of the shooting in Vienna.

  • Claudia Aoraha

    MAP: WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR

  • Claudia Aoraha

    WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR

    • “Several gunmen” attacked six locations across Vienna's city centre
    • Four dead – two women and two men
    • 17 injured – seven including a police officer are fighting for life
    • One gunman shot dead as at 1,000 police are hunting for at least one other attacker
    • Gunman reportedly pledged his allegiance to ISIS and announced the attack on Instagram
    • Two Turkish MMA fighters carried a woman and an injured cop to safety

    CHANCELLOR LIGHTS A CANDLE

    Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz places a candle at a crime scene as he pays his respects to the victims of the shooting on November 3, 2020, one day after the shooting at multiple locations across central Vienna.

    PICTURED: THE TERRORIST SHOT DEAD

    A terrorist shot dead in Vienna after opening fire on drinkers near a synagogue had announced his attack on Instagram and pledged allegiance to ISIS.

    The gunman – named as Kurtin S – is understood to be a 20-year-old dual citizen of Austrian and North Macedonian who had previously been jailed for trying to travel to Syria.

    The Austrian government confirmed that the suspected Vienna attacker had previously been sentenced to 22 months in prison in April 2019.

    PAY TRIBUTES

    A wreath is carried to the the scene in Vienna, Austria, this morning.

    HEROES IN VIENNA

    Amid the violence there was also heroes – with MMA fighters Recep Tayyip Gultekin and Mikail Ozer stepping in to help an injured cop and an elderly woman.

    The pair ran in the direction of danger after hearing shots and saw the gunman.

    Recep tried to carry an injured woman to safety and ended up getting shot – but initially didn't got to hospital as he “didn't want to be a burden”.

    He told Turkish news channel Ahaber: “When I turned around, the terrorist took cover at me, we came eye to eye while shooting, and the moment I met that eye, there was no fear or doubt in me. 

    “There, with the reflex given to me by my brain, I rolled on the ground and ran, zigzag running and ran downstairs and went to the police building and told about what happened.”

    BLOODSHED ACROSS EUROPE

    Officers put up road blocks checking all cars and taxis to leaving the city, and security was beefed up at other Jewish sites.

    The murders followed outrage at cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed published by satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, which has seen a spate of bloodshed in Europe.

    Bild reports one of the jihadis sent a video of the attack on the magazine's offices in 2015 to one of his accomplices.

    He also posed on Instagram with an assault rifle, pistol and machete.

    It comes after ISIS called on  jihadis to “spill the blood of Crusaders” in “revenge” for the cartoons of Mohammed.

    Source: Read Full Article